We work to bring cutting-edge programs to Georgia that promote the development of healthy children and families. Community programs that GCAPP administers are listed below.
- Second Chance Homes Network - This network of homes throughout Georgia provides young mothers with support to become self-sufficient parents. Based in non-institutional settings, teen mothers are provided with supportive relationships, counseling, educational incentives, and support for long-term economic independence, child development, and parenting and life skills.
- We Are Change - In 2010, the CDC awarded GCAPP a grant to implement a community-wide initiative in Richmond County to reduce teen pregnancy and teen births by 10% by 2015.
- Working to Institutionalize Sex Education…A WISE Choice - Through the WISE initiative, GCAPP is the lead organization in building the state’s infrastructure to institutionalize comprehensive and improved sexual health education in Georgia school districts. GCAPP has trained 100 teachers in 41 elementary, middle, and high schools to implement medically accurate, age appropriate curricula reaching over 14,000 students.
- Youth Leadership Council, PEER UP (Peer Education & Encouragement to Reduce Unintended Pregnancy) - GCAPP established the Youth Leadership Council to help decrease the teen pregnancy rate in Metro Atlanta which accounts for approximately 30% of all teen pregnancies in the state. College students help their peers understand how unintended pregnancy can disrupt educational attainment, motivate peers to use contraceptives, and encourage peers to visit campus and community resources.
- Personal Responsibility Education Program, PREP - PREP educates high risk youth on both abstinence and contraception for the prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/ AIDS.
- EQUIPS…Enhancing Quality of Interventions Promoting Healthy Sexuality - EQUIPS is a five-year research project intended to study the impact of using the planning framework Getting to Outcomes coupled with Making Proud Choices, a proven, effective pregnancy and STD prevention program for youth.